Wil Wheaton has never
been one to take the conventional path to success. Despite early
stardom through his childhood role in the motion picture "Stand By Me",
and growing up on television as Wesley Crusher on "Star Trek: The Next
Generation", Wil left Hollywood in pursuit of happiness, purpose, and a
viable means of paying the bills. In the oddest of places, Topeka,
Kansas, Wil discovered that despite his claims to fame, he was at heart
Just a Geek.
this, his newest book, Wil shares his deeply personal and difficult
journey to find himself. You'll understand the rigors, and joys, of
Wil's rediscovering of himself, as he comes to terms with what it means
to be famous, or, ironically, famous for once having been famous.
Writing with honesty and disarming humanity, Wil touches on the
frustrations associated with his acting career, his inability to
distance himself from Ensign Crusher in the public's eyes, the launch
of his incredibly successful web site, wilwheaton.net, and the joy he's
found in writing. Through all of this, Wil shares the ups and downs he
encountered along the journey, along with the support and love he
discovered from his friends and family.
The stories in Just a Geek include:
– Wil's plunge from teen star to struggling actor
– Discovering the joys of HTML, blogging, Linux, and web design
– The struggle between Wesley Crusher, Starfleet ensign, and Wil Wheaton, author and blogger
– Gut-wrenching reactions to the 9-11 disaster
– Moving tales of Wil's relationships with his wife, step-children, and extended family
– The transition from a B-list actor to an A-list author
Wheaton–celebrity, blogger, and geek–writes for the geek in all of
us. Engaging, witty, and pleasantly self-deprecating, Just a Geek will
surprise you and make you laugh.